Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Adventure>Fear

I love the idea of adventure. It excites me. I've always wanted to sieze every adventure that this life has to offer, whether it be in my backyard or across the world. Now I have the opportunity to go on a real life adventure and I'm scared to death. I'm scared of failing at the responsibilities I've been given. Scared of the difficulties and complexities of traveling to another country. Scared of getting sick or hurt when I'm there. Scared of missing out on something important when I'm there. Scared silly of the unknown.


Adventure [ad-ven-chur]: (n) an exciting or very unusual experience. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome. (v) to risk or hazard. to take the chance of; dare.

Risk and uncertainty are part of the adventure. It's part of what make it an experience worth remembering and savoring. It's overcoming those obstacles that's the important element of adventure. If that's the case, the only thing that can kill the adventure is giving into fear. It's inevitable that one will be afraid of the unknown, but the key is doing what needs to be done despite the emotions. One of my favorite quotes is " Always do what you are afraid to do." (Ralph Waldo Emerson) Do it anyway. That's the heart of adventure: Overcoming the obstacles and emotion to sieze the opportunity before you.
I'm going to try to remember this as this adventure begins to unfold...this is one opportunity I do not want to miss out on!

No comments:

Post a Comment